The Board of Governors Exam
The Board of Governors Exam begins with a short biographical data questionnaire that takes approximately five minutes to complete. There are 230 questions—200 are scored and 30 are "trial", unscored questions. Candidates will have up to six (6) hours to complete the exam. Each question has four (4) possible answers, and a candidate's score is based on the number of scored questions on the examination. The "trial" questions do not affect a candidate's score—they are included so they can be evaluated for possible use as scored questions on future examinations.
- Meet ALL application requirements and become authorized to sit for the Board of Governors Examination in Healthcare Management. Please note that your authorization is valid for two (2) years. If you do not take the exam within that two-year period, you will need to re-apply to advance to Fellow status.
- We will send you an exam registration form that explains how to register and schedule a date to take the exam.
- Prepare for the examination through the Board of Governors Exam Online Tutorial, the Board of Governors Exam Review course (face-to-face), the Board of Governors Exam Study Set, the ACHE Board of Governors Exam Flash Cards, the ACHE Board of Governors Exam Study Bundle, the Reference Manual, or local study groups.
- Return the exam registration form to ACHE along with the exam registration fee ($200 if you are advancing to Fellow; $350 if you are recertifying your Fellow status) when you feel prepared to take the exam. Your exam eligibility is valid through your two (2) year application period. If you do not pass the Board of Governors Exam during your two (2) year application period, you will be required to submit a new Fellow application and fee.
- Select an exam site:
- For more information on site locations for computer-based testing, visit the Pearson VUE site at www.pearsonvue.com. You must submit your $200 exam registration fee to ACHE before you will be eligible to schedule your exam appointment with Pearson VUE.
- A paper-and-pencil exam is offered at ACHE's annual Congress on Healthcare Leadership in March.